AFL finals – week 1 results & week 2 preview
Posted by redracer on September 9, 2007
Quite an interesting set of results from week 1 of the finals, where all the higher placed teams won ….
As the weekend went on, the results kept getting bigger !!!
- QF2 – Port Adelaide beat West Coast by 3 points – 9.14 – 9.11
- EF1 – Hawthorn beat Adelaide by 3 points – 15.15 – 15.12
- EF2 – Collingwood vs Sydney by 38 points – 18.17 – 13.9
- QF1 – Geelong vs Kangaroos by 106 points – 23.18 – 8.2
Both of the first two games came down to thrilling last minute goals, but the Pies manages to win comfortably over an error-prone Swans, and the Cats completely thrashed the Kangaroos in a record-breaking demolition.
Collingwood really out-played Sydney, and their high pressure tactics caused the Swan’s defenders to make many mistakes. Big name players like Peter ‘Spider’ Everitt & Barry Hall did not contribute at all and the only really good players for the Swans were the Aboriginals Adam Goodes & Michael O’Loughlin. In contrast, the Pies had many match winners, including veteran Nathan Buckley in his second game back after injury, a big return to form for full forward Anthony Rocca with 6 goals, second in the Rising Star Award Scott Pendlebury, new forward Sean Rusling, Irishman Martin Clarke & Travis Cloke. Now we face the trip to Perth to meet the injury-prone West Coast in an elimination Semi Final.
Eliminated from the competition are two of the interstate teams – Adelaide & Sydney, and next week will see 2 elimination Semi Final games, with the two top placed winners, Geelong and Port Adelaide, getting a week’s rest before their preliminary Final game.
- Semi Final 1 – winner to play Geelong in Preliminary Final 1, loser eliminated
- Semi Final 2 – winner to play Port Adelaide in Preliminary Final 2, loser eliminated
Week 2 next week will be the following …
- SF1 – Kangaroos vs Hawthorn – Saturday night at the MCG
- SF2 – West Coast vs Collingwood – Friday night at Subiaco Oval
CARN THE PIES !!!!