Kumi Koda – new single ‘FREAKY’
Posted by redracer on July 2, 2007
Released on June 27, this is Kumi Koda’s latest single, and her 37th single release.
For more information about this artist, please see this post. The track listing is …
- 空 (sora)
- Run For Your Life
- FREAKY – Surtek Collective’s Action Remix (featuring Peter Rap)
- 空 – Yukihiro Hukutomi Remix
- Run For Your Life – Kaskade Remix
- girls – CUBISMO GRAFICO Beach Girls Mix
Sales sold after the First-Press version is sold out will have the 4 instrumental versions of the songs as tracks 5-8, rather than the re-mixes listed above. As well as the CD version, there is also a DVD version (with a different cover), which contains …
- FREAKY (PV)
- Run For Your Life (PV)
- FREAKY (making)
- Run For Your Life (making)
Kumi wrote the words to these 4 songs, but not the music. I guess it is a bit like the ‘4 hot wave’ single, except that I don’t think that this has been promoted as a 4 song maxi-single – the songs certainly don’t hold up as well as those on ‘4 Hot Wave’.
- ‘FREAKY’ has a heavy funky dance beat a little like ‘Hot Stuff’, but it is no ‘Juicy’. The song starts with a Christina Uglyarea type scream !!! The remix version has a heavier dance beat, as well as a funky synth bass sound.
- ‘sora’ (sky) is a little like ‘I’ll Be There’ with a gentle pop sound. The remix version sounds very similar, but has a constant dance beat behind it – the effect is quite good actually, and sounds like more like some of her other ‘classic’ singles.
- ‘Run For Your Life’ has a dance beat verse & chorus with a more pop vocal bridge section. The remix version changes the off-beats to a constant dance beat & a sparser instrumental sound.
- ‘girls’ is a brassy R&B number and would be my favourite of the 4 !!! The remix version has a more straight dance sound without the extra effect of the brass.
The video of ‘FREAKY’ shows off her new ‘blonde’ phase, with various short styles evident. In some scenes her eyes are made up with a wondeful blue ‘butterfly’ effect. She spends most of the time hanging around in a very thin purple dress (that shows off her legs to advantage) with a group of black-dressed gangsters, in conflict with a tights & loose shirt-dressed Kumi with a short blond bob. The video of ‘Run For Your Life’ shows her as the typical indecisive girl who can’t decide what to wear when going out with her girlfriends. She cannot decide between being SEXY in a low cut sparkely turqoise number, or CUTIE in a red tent-type dress. Both outfits once again show off her legs !!! The two Kumi’s interact at a party at someone’s luxury house, and this video was shot in and around L.A. I suspected she may have put on a little weight after seeing this, and it is confirmed in the ‘making’ video where she is seen to enjoy pigging out on L.A.’s finest food varieties, from multiple hot dogs to huge ice cream crepes and then a seemingly endless supply of doughnuts.
The four songs are all OK in themselves, but I don’t think are as good as some previous releases, and as a 4-song single, it does not beat ‘4 hot wave’ at all.
The First-Press edition also comes with a very sexy 70x25cm poster. The following are taken from the insides of the CD cover.