What a load of Shit !!!
Posted by redracer on May 8, 2007
Was it a thumping, a thrashing or just plain humiliation ? On Sunday 6th May 2007, 34,584 punters at Telstra Dome witnessed round 6’s game between Richmond & Geelong, which produced a number of records …
- the 157 point thumping was Richmond’s worst ever loss in it’s 99 year history (previously 141 points by Nth Melbourne in 1990)
- Geelong’s three quarter time score was a record high
- Geelongs biggest win over Richmond (previous record only 134 points in 1989) and their second-highest ever score
- their total score was the equal eighth-highest ever game total, just 17 point short of the record (also held by Geelong after beating Brisbane in 1992.
- the third-highest winning margin in Geelong’s history, and 11th on the all-time AFL/VFL list
- etc etc etc ad nauseum🙄
Quarter time progress scores were …
- Richmond 1.1 (7) to Geelong 10.2 (62) – a lead of 55 points.
- Richmond 2.7 (19) to Geelong 20.6 (126) – a lead of 107 points.
- Richmond 5.9 (39) to Geelong 29.9 (183) – a lead of 144 points.
- Richmond 9.11 (65) to Geelong 35.12 (222) – a lead of 157 points (looks like they slowed down !).
Based on a huge loss of percentage, Richmond are now win-less on the bottom of the ladder, while Geelong jumped 6 places from 12th to 6th. Greg Miller, the Richmond director of football, took the unprecedented action of personally of emailing every Tigers member with an apology. “I understand the pain and disappointment that you all feel,” he wrote. “We have tested your loyalty and commitment many times … Many will say we’ve heard it before but if you love Richmond, you will take a deep breath and trust that the foundations are solid, and in place.” If you are also feeling the pain, you can read the full letter here.
Another member took more direct action by dumping a rather large load of manure at the Punt Road Oval (the Richmond club’s headquarters), as can be seen below …
pic by Michael Klein courtesy MX
This comes after a similar incident in 2001, where once again Richmond was beaten by Geelong (this time by only 42 points), and one angry Tiger fan drove a truck up to Punt Road and dumped about $600 worth of chicken manure at the front door, saying the players deserved it “because they played like chooks”. At that time the coach, St.Kilda legend Danny Frawley, waited until the media left and gathered it up and took it home for his garden, which subsequently flourished 😆