Whoo Hooo !!!! – the footy starts again this weekend !!!
Posted by redracer on March 30, 2007
After a long wait over the summer, the football starts again this weekend. We are talking about the ‘real’ football here, not some stupid game where players just run around after each other, try to knock them down, don’t even kick the ball, or maybe even try to push a player up other player’s bums 🙄
Soccer (the ‘real’ football in MOST countries) excluded, Australian Rules Football is the greatest game in the world, and is the major winter sport in all states of Australia. Hey – it’s even so popular that there is an Australian Rules competition in Tokyo 😆
Even though the draw is supposed to be randomly generated, it seems coincidence that the first game of the year is a rematch of the Grand Final from last year !!! We are lucky to be able to go to this match, as it is held at Telstra Stadium, the huge main venue for the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games (the ‘best ever’ Olympics !!!), trains straight to the ground make it easy to get to (the cost is included in the ticket price), and the tickets are just A$30 each.
For those poor uninitiated people, the Grand Final last year was played between the Sydney ‘Swans’, and the West Coast ‘Eagles’ (from Perth, on the other side of the country). Even though the game originated in Melbourne, and used to be called the Victorian Football League because all except one of the teams were based in Melbourne itself, in the 1980’s and 1990’s it was decided to make it a national competition, and teams were added from Brisbane, Adelaide (2) and Perth (2). The Sydney team was actually the first to be established outside of Melbourne, and was created by moving the financially embattled South Melbourne ‘Swans’ interstate in 1982. Teams in the competition now are …
- Adelaide ‘Crows’ (based in Adelaide, South Australia)
- Brisbane ‘Lions’ (based in Brisbane, Queensland – used to be called Fitzroy)
- Carlton ‘Blues’ (based in Melbourne, Victoria)
- Collingwood ‘Magpies’ (based in Melbourne, Victoria)
- Essendon ‘Bombers’ (based in Melbourne, Victoria)
- Fremantle ‘Dockers’ (based in Fremantle, just outside Perth, Western Australia)
- Geelong ‘Cats’ (based in Geelong, just outside of Melbourne, Victoria)
- Hawthorn ‘Hawks’ (based in Melbourne, Victoria)
- Melbourne ‘Demons’ (based in Melbourne, Victoria)
- North Melbourne ‘Kangaroos’ (based in Melbourne, Victoria)
- Port Adelaide ‘Power’ (based in Adelaide, South Australia)
- Richmond ‘Tigers’ (based in Melbourne, Victoria)
- St Kilda ‘Saints’ (based in Melbourne, Victoria)
- Sydney ‘Swans’ (based in Sydney, New South Wales – used to be called South Melbourne)
- West Coast ‘Eagles’ (based in Perth, Western Australia)
- Western ‘Bulldogs’ (based in Melbourne, Victoria – used to be called Footscray)
Even though I live in Sydney, it is not the team that I support – that priviledge would go to the …
Carn the MIGHTY PIES !!!!
However I do barrack for the Swans as my ‘second’ team every time they play, EXCEPT when they play Collingwood 🙂
The game this Saturday night should be a beaudy mate, as in the last five meetings between these two teams, the greatest winning margin was 4 points, and the total difference between the two has been just 12 points !!! In the last 11 encounters, neither team has managed to beat the other twice in succession (so by logic this means it must now be Sydney’s turn!!!)
- 2005 Round 17 – Sydney by 21 points !!!
- 2005 qualifying final – West Coast by 4 points
- 2005 Grand Final – Sydney by 4 points
- 2006 Round 15 – West Coast by 2 points
- 2006 qualifying final – Sydney by 1 point
- 2006 Grand Final – West Coast by 1 point
- 2007 Round 1 – Sydney by ????
If you want to read more about how this strange game works, have a look at this page.
See ya after the game, mate !!!!